Bulldog Pride runs deep within the Carmi-White County Unit #5 School District. We are a student-oriented district where students come first and always remain at the heart of our commitment. Thanks to the efforts of our talented and dedicated staff, strong support from our Board of Education, involved parents and a community that values education, our students benefit from a rich and varied curriculum. As we pursue our Strategic Plan (link below) to provide a first-class educational program for all our students, our ongoing commitment is to improve student achievement and to support all areas of student development. Due to the dramatic decrease in state-funding, the district faced dismal financial circumstances in 2012. The district was forced to cut 2.2 million dollars in the Education Fund by reducing forty certified and non-certified employees, and increasing class sizes. Through this hardship, personnel pulled together to meet the needs of our students. This was evident in test scores that remain above the state average. Currently, the district is financially stable and receives the highest level of financial recognition. Additionally, we are currently adding more staff and updating curriculum to create the best possible learning environment for our Bulldogs!
The Board's vision is that collaboration between the Board, employees, parents, and community members will produce a quality education for all students enrolled in Carmi-White County C.U.S.D. No. 5 School District.
The mission of Carmi-White County C.U.S.D. No. 5 is to provide superior preschool, elementary, middle and high school educational experiences for the children of the Carmi-White County C.U.S.D. No. 5 Community. The District provides schooling for children so they can meet challenges now, during their growing years, and later, during their adult lives. The purpose of this schooling is to develop productive citizens, life-long learners and happy, well-adjusted children and adults.
The District makes a concerted effort to develop in each child the knowledge base and skills necessary to excel in:
- speaking, reading and writing,
- mathematics and science,
- social studies,
- the fine and applied arts,
- the gathering and use of information,
- the use of communication and computation tools of the times,
- the making of responsible decisions,
- physical, emotional and mental development,
- living and working both independently and cooperatively.
The District's mission is based on the beliefs that:
- quality education is oriented toward student outcomes,
- quality education results from a partnership that is shared among the home, school, and community
- quality education results in a quality community,
- quality education assures all children the chance to excel in their areas of interest and talent.
- quality education is Carmi-White County C.U.S.D. No 5's top priority.
To find out more about our district, CLICK HERE to see various indicators showing how well Carmi-White County Unit #5 is doing!